Mekong ICT camp 2017
Re-opening of Applications ONLY for Cambodia, Vietnam and Thailand
Apply here! till 15 July.
Mekong ICT Camp 2017:
innovation, citizenship, and open technology for social change in Mekong subregion:
A Hands-on Workshop on Social Innovation through Information, Communication, and Technology Capacity Development for Independent Media, Community Health Workers, and Civil Society Organizations in Mekong Sub-region.
Activity Name: Mekong ICT Camp 2017
Date: September 4-9, 2017
Place/Country: Siem Reap, Cambodia
WHO CAN APPLY?
- All developers, journalists, development workers and social workers are welcome.
- Participants are welcome from EVERY Mekong-region country, and elsewhere.
- Around 60 participants will be selected from the Mekong sub-region, with others from outside the region.
WHAT IS THE EVENT’S FOCUS?
This workshop will focus mainly on already existing developmental projects in Mekong countries, trying to solve data and technological problems related to issues such as:
- Environmental and social impacts of development projects such as dams, mines, oil and gas, road construction or land concessions.
- Disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation
- Health, education, civil rights and others.
HOW IS THE EVENT ORGANIZED?
The workshop brings together development workers, journalists and others who are looking for solutions to their data problems. These problems can involve data collection, analysis or visualisation.
These “project initiators/problem owners” present their problem to software developers, hardware makers and data experts, who, if interested, will work with to find tech solutions for their projects.
WHAT IS THE COST?
For those from the Mekong-region: we will sponsor all your travel, accommodation and program costs, but we ask for a contribution of USD50 from each participant. This sponsorship is available for participants from the Mekong sub-region (Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam), including those who are originally from elsewhere but currently working on projects that related to the development of the Mekong region and its people.
Participants from outside the Mekong-region: Limited numbers of PARTIAL sponsorship (camp fee and accommodation, but not travel cost) are available for those outside Mekong Region.
HOW DO I PREPARE?
- Development workers, journalists and others with data and technical problems to solve should bring descriptions of those problems, resources, reports, datasets, equipment or anything else that will help others understand and solve the problem
- We want participants to lead discussions. All participants can consider bringing problems, ideas, stories, tools, equipment or websites to present to others.
- A computer is required in most of the hand-on sessions. Participants are advised to bring their personal laptop computer with them. The camp will not provide computer to participants.
- If you have camera, video recorder, voice recorder, wifi router, Raspberry Pi, Arduino or any other equipment, please bring them, as you may find it useful and interesting to use them during the workshop.
About organizer http://mekongict.org/about/